Monday, August 4, 2008

Oh Boy Am I Grateful



It seems as though this summer I have been given many opportunities to be grateful for the wonderful life I have been blessed with. This week was not an exception, especially in a more physical, tangible, possession kind of way. As many may or may not know, we have taken the opportunity to allow three girls from Tawau, Malaysa come live with us for a year.

While my parents were on their mission is Malaysa, they met, baptized, and/or activated these young ladies. During Brandon and I's visit to Tawau, we were able to see first hand, how and where these girls lived and what challenges they face every day. When it was proposed that these girls be given an opportunity to come to America to study, there was no question in my mind, where they would stay.

As the months turned to weeks and weeks turned to days, it seemed that the preparations turned to anxiety, and anxiety turned to stress. Money and funds that seemed endless, soon began to dwindle and finally began to run out. Only to discover that these girls, ages 18, 19 and 20, came to America with only one small suitcase, the 24" that we usually use as carryon, is all that each of them came with.

Upon their arrival and their attempt to unpack, only to discover that they had shoes, pants, bras and shirts stolen. They get what little they have stolen. And bless their little hearts, after the shock, they said, "Well I guess someone else needed them things more than me."

And here, I have been stressed that I don't have matching comforters for them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another example of how everything happens for a reason huh? Look at how these girls have changed your lives already and here the goal was to give these girls a better life and better potential for the future! They've not only put everything into perspective for you and your family, they truly affect everyone who meets them. I have to say Melis, when you first told me of your plans to have these girls stay with you, it sounded like a huge thing to take on but honestly I can't think of a better family for them to stay with. I'm grateful to have met them!

Aimee my Aimee said...

I love stories like this! What an amazing experience.